Friday 10 October 2014

EXTENDED PRACTICE - EIGHT BRIEFS

Over summer we were tasked with developing eights studio briefs completed to a high standard where the context and outcomes are made clear. The briefs needed to be complete and at a presentable standard for the start of level six.







The briefs will be completed over the course of the academic year and should help to form a quality portfolio of design work. To achieve this certain things need taking into consideration;
  • Do the briefs have relevance to our personal and professional interests?
  • The briefs should have different time scales, production values and skill sets.
  • Who is the intended audience?
  • Is there a skill set that I wish to develop?
  • How am I challenging myself?
  • What do I need to learn?

Additionally, we were also given extra information informing us that we had to have at least one of the following;
  • A competition brief (YCN, D&AD).
  • A collaborative brief.
  • A live brief (Set in uni by agency).


DEVELOPMENT 

After reviewing and analysing the brief I progressed with developing the eight briefs, this process was started by first listing my focuses as a designer.


DESIGN FOCUSES;
  • Branding & Identity.
  • Publishing & Editorial.
  • Typography.
  • Packaging.
  • Illustration. 


Once I had defined the areas of design that interest me I made a series of spider diagrams exploring possible brief ideas for each distinction. When creating the diagrams I tried to think of brief ideas that have relevance to both my personal and professional interests.







REFINEMENT

After creating the diagrams I had a range of ideas for each distinction to choose from, this allowed me to review and analyse the briefs to define which one had the most relevance to my practice and the most scope for development.

During the process of reviewing the briefs I also referred back to the list of considerations listed on the summer brief.


 



REFINED BRIEF LIST 



  1. Bowland Brewery rebrand.
  2. Eco-friendly skateboard cruiser company.
  3. Skateboard magazine rebrand.
  4. Indoor plant company branding.
  5. Thailand travel book.
  6. Organic food product range - packaging.
  7. Packaging project - bonsai tree.
  8. Political posters.
     9.  Competition brief (define when available).
   10.  Live brief (set in uni).




COMPLETED BRIEFS.

Once the list of brief ideas had been generated, refined and selected I was able to start defining the specifics for each brief. As mentioned in the initial summer brief the eight studio briefs are to be completed thoroughly and to a standard where the context and outcomes are clear. Therefore, when writing the brief I spent extra time ensuring the specifics are defined and easy to understand.


BRIEF ONE - 

  • Timescale 2 - 3 months.



BRIEF TWO -



  • Timescale 2-3 months. 




BRIEF THREE -

  • Timescale 1 month.



BRIEF FOUR - 


  • Timescale 1-2 months.




BRIEF FIVE -  


  • Timescale 1-2 months.





 BRIEF SIX -


  • Timescale 1 month. 




BRIEF SEVEN - 

  • Timescale 1 month.



BRIEF EIGHT - 


  • Timescale 1-2 months.



BRIEF EIGHT (REVISED) -

  • Timescale 1-2 months.


No comments:

Post a Comment