Tuesday, 24 March 2015


While we were concluding our group meeting with Duncan we outlined a number of dates to help get the project moving towards completion. In the session we defined the ideal completion time for the design of the publication in early May, as all group members want to submit the project as part of the extended practice module. To meet this deadline, it is essential that we start 

One of the dates we defined during the meeting related to when the students will be contacted with the body of information they need to choose and submit their selection of project images. The date was set at the end of this week, so to ensure the students have the information needed to submit their project images we needed to define the final dimensions for the publication and develop a series of layouts for the student project images. 


We progressed with the project be defining the dimensions for the publication. Initially, this process was started by measuring the yearbook produced for the previous year of Printed Textiles as we found its size to be inline with the aesthetic and feel we want to create for the publication. 

I assumed, by looking at the previous years publication, that its dimensions were that of a B5 paper size. However, upon measuring the book I found out that it measured 190 x 250, a size that I found does not fit any existing paper dimensions from either A or B variations.  

The discovery that the publication was printed at a custom size created a lot of questions that can only be answered by a member of Evolution Print, therefore, we made a list of questions that are documented below.

For the mean time, we decided to use a B5 paper size for the pages of our publication as using a custom page size could potentially raise the cost of the print job. 

We decided to created a physical version of the publication to help us get an idea of the page size once the size of the inside margin has been increased to compensate for the binding method. 


While creating the layouts we ended up coming across aspects of the print job that we needed to 
  • Publication size - Chosen B5 size is different from previous year, did they use a custom size? And did this cost extra to print?
  • Size of binding screws.
    • Size of gutter needed to compensate for binding method. 
    • Style of binding screws available.
  • What GF Smith papers do they have available?
    • What costs are associated with such papers.


Below are the series of layouts created for the yearbook. 
  • The size of the inside margin has been increased to compensate for the biding method. 
  • The margin at the bottom of the page has been increased to make room for the addition of the individual students name. 
  • A range of six layouts were created for students to use to display their work.
  • The six layout variations provided the students with a range of layouts they can use to display one to three projects.  


Once the layouts had been created they were sent to Danielle who forwarded them to Duncan with the supporting information students need to submit images of their work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment